Friday, March 4, 2011

Raisin Paper & Teething

 20 some years ago I was sitting in an easy chair with maybe our third or fourth child, unsuccessfully trying to console a teething baby. Nothing they liked to chew on would keep their attention. So I thought about the key ingredients of the ultimate "Teether Reliever". 

1. It had to taste or at least feel good

2. It had to be bio indestructible, in that a piece couldn't come off and slide down the child's throat.

3. You had to be able to hold it easily.

My mind went around the house, into the cupboards, and there was a bag of raisins! I quickly cut up the bag into about 1" bands, putting the raisins in a container. When I put the raisin "paper" (it's really plastic) with the gooey residue of sweet raisins to the lips of our child, peace began to reign. Focused contentment. Volumes of slobber. Enthusiastic sucking. Quiet. 

Above is our granddaughter, 'Rory Shane. She has the raisin paper AND is finding how good it feels to bite my thumb at the same time! And look at her face. A second before she was crying her eyes out.

You may send your contributions to my Paypal account: rparsons@gci.net  :)


1 comment: