Tuesday, October 26, 2010

New Sherlock Holmes

I saw the new PBS Mystery version of Sherlock Holmes
last night and was totally jazzed by
everything in this film. I loved the refreshing
angle on Dr. Watson who is seen in this
version as a much more aggressive individual--
yet nevertheless is totally bewildered by the
mental powers of Sherlock Holmes.

And rightly so. In this day of "forensic everything"
and all the crime gizmos available I was wondering
how they would set this Sherlock over and above
modern marvels. I didn't need to worry.
This Sherlock Holmes is, God help me,
my favorite even over the Jeremy Brett version. I've said it,
please have mercy. One thing I like is the story tellers
decision to bring you into the mind of Holmes as he
thinks with on-screen visuals of the facts S.H. is picking
up from the crime scene and individuals he meets.

It was wonderful. And it wasn't American. There were
very subtle scene transitions and an abundance of 
reasons to want to watch this again. Just imagine inspector Lestrade
texting Holmes requesting his help! I know it sounds like it
shouldn't work but it does and it really swings.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, your J. Brett-adoring daughter is torn between great skepticism and trust in your judgement and taste. How did I miss this? Why didn't you CALL ME?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, Adrien and I watch Mystery at midnight on Sunday so it was out of mind. Yo momma and I went to a movie that night which took what was left of my mind... You can watch it on PBS, which is cool because you can rewind or go take a pee without missing anything...

    ReplyDelete