Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Random Thoughts

I haven't posted anything since mid April. Feels like I've been away from this a lot longer than that.

Books:

Ken Follett's new book Fall of Giants, puts anything else I've read to a distant second or perhaps even another category altogether, perhaps, "Non Ken Follett Books". I do think I ran into a bit of depression when I finished the 1,000 pager. You can look up the synopsis online from a real writer person. Of course his older series Pillars of the Earth and the follow up World Without End, are as my daughter Sarah says, "They're Crack!" I read a little over 20 words a minute by the time you add up all the mindstorms that hit me and then the realization that I've "read" a whole page while I was wondering about algae in the mediterranean. I probably read a book three times by the time I'm finished with it. It is this same disciplinary feature that keeps me out of any elongated time of prayer. I just can't seem to control where my mind will warp to. I once fell asleep at a prayer time and while I was asleep had a dream about chairs at church. I woke myself to a mystified audience as I was praying outloud about the chairs! You know, nobody asked me about the chairs... Anyway, even though I read an amalgamated 20 words a minute, when I'm reading something cool I feel like a scholar. Follett's book made me feel like I was Evelyn Wood.

Malcom Gladwell has produced a series of books, Tipping Point, Blink, What the Dog Saw, that just get you to think. They are to me like suped-up Reader's Digest writings. Very entertaining style.

Way back I mentioned Neal Stephenson and his book, Cryptonomicon. Great book. I've slogged through a few of his others and found him to pessimistic, and as is common with that outlook, somewhat elitist, all knowing and void of an ethic outside of himself. I don't recommend anything else by that author. I'm willing to be very wrong about this. But this is my opinion as weak as that is.

Musicians and they DVDs. One of my latest statements is that we are in the musical age of Jeff Beck. Allow me to downplay that a smidge. I don't mean this to say that "he's the best, or that no other is his equal."  It's just that his style has matured to such a level that his stamp is on a wide swath of musical genres today.  Having said that, there is another guitarist without peer and he is Tommy Emmanuel. Acoustic music without bounds. All three of his DVD's are tremendous. And I do recommend the DVD because Tommy is a charismatic showman. There are few that will ever stand with Tommy. Consider that since he's been about 6 years old he's been a pro. He has a big brother to look up to (Phil) that is a fabulous guitarist himself. Add to that a mom and pop that totally encouraged the love that Tommy displayed since he was a tyke, even to the point of selling their home and touring as a family band in the outback of Australia for a long time just living out of a car! Tommy has emerged as one of those gifts of God to society. He's such a child at heart and the love he has for playing the guitar has brought more than one teary eye to those who watch him.

Blessing to you and yours,

bob

No comments:

Post a Comment